Tuesday, August 12, 2008

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST



I guess I should never be surprised when yet another politician or public official admits to an "indiscretion." And yet I have to admit that the recent admission by John Edwards left me surprised and saddened.
Somehow, I wanted to believe it when he had said last year when confronted with the accusations that "I’ve been in love with the same woman for 30-plus years and, as anybody who’s been around us knows, she’s an extraordinary human being, warm, loving, beautiful, sexy and as good a person as I have ever known. So the story’s just false.”
But no. The too-good-to-be-true intelligent, handsome, powerful family man certainly did have feet of clay.
As he revealed last week: “In 2006, I made a serious error in judgment and conducted myself in a way that was disloyal to my family and to my core beliefs. I was and am ashamed of my conduct and choices, and I had hoped that it would never become public.”
No kidding he hoped it would never become public. He had high political aspirations, obviously.
Never mind that his wife is again battling cancer. Never mind that a lot of people believed in him and saw him as someone who would stand true to his supposed beliefs.
Which leads me to ask, what DOES he believe in?
Most say his political career is now over. Who knows... the public has "forgiven" so many politicians for their "mistakes."
I feel very sorry for his wife and family. They now have to deal with this hurt and betrayal on top of everything else.
I guess the search for a trustworthy politician continues.

No comments: