Thursday, October 14, 2010

Thank you, Rotary of North Penn



I had the privilege to speak to the Rotary Club of North Penn this week -- and I thank the group for both the opportunity to address them and for putting up with my not-so-polished public speaking skills.
I told them I usually limit my "public speaking" to making sure the reporters have plenty to do each day.
But since this is the 140th anniversary year of The Reporter, it was great to share some tales of our history and where we are headed as a multimedia news production known as The Reporter.
And it was interesting to chat with some of the members -- thank you, Mayor Andy, and all the others who were so hospitable.
Before I left the meeting, I was handed a little brochure about the club, which is always interested in having new members join.
The slogan, "Service Above Self," is something this club obviously takes to heart. For example, they are involved in Lansdale Day and Bike Night, working to raise funds for local organizations; they hold holiday fruit sales to raise money for scholarships; help to sponsor international student exchanges; and sponsor local high school juniors to attend a leadership camp.
The members also take part in other community activities and, in 2005, raised $225,000 and built the bandshell in Whites Road Park, Lansdale, to commemorate the Rotary centennial.
This only brushes the surface, but you get the idea.
And if interested in joining this group, you should check their website at www.rotaryclubofnorthpenn.org.
Thanks again, Rotary, for inviting me to speak. It was a great evening.

No comments: