Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ship happens





Some people say you can't go home again. Maybe they're right, at least where college is concerned.
I took last week off from work, and during that time I paid a visit to my alma mater, Shippensburg University. I hadn't been there for quite some time, and knew that a lot of things would have changed.
But at least I got one question answered. For some time, I've been wondering what the heck the new mascot was.
Back in the olden days when I was a student there, we were the Red Raiders and had as our mascot an Indian. That was replaced and now the logo is, I suppose, a pirate ship -- or some type of ship. It's annoying, to say the least. There's no ocean anywhere near Shippensburg.
In the alumni magazine, I'd see the new mascot from time to time, and figured it was a parrot. It was wearing a pirate's hat, after all.
But when I picked up The Slate, the student newspaper, last week, the mascot actually had a column -- and set the record straight. It's a red-tailed hawk, called Big Red.
OK... a hawk in a pirate's hat.
Yeah... Anyway, I had quite the time finding a shirt in the bookstore that didn't have a ship on it.
Finally found one that's quite fitting. It simply says: Ship Happens.
Yes, it does.

No comments: