Saturday, October 20, 2007

what good home?

I couldn't believe when, on my home from work Friday, I saw the sign again, hanging outside a house in Franconia.

"Free kittens to good home."
Several times a year this appears. I always cringe.
Do they actually get "good" homes? Do these people care? Do they really think THEY are providing a "good home" by allowing their cat(s) to constantly reproduce?
I can't tell you how many times I've been tempted to stop and ask to "borrow" their mother cat for a few days.
I'd be happy to take her to my vet and have her spayed, to save her from this terrible, never-ending cycle of kittens, kittens, kittens.
And I'm sure the vet would be glad to explain to these people the health benefits of spaying and neutering.
Don't tell me that cats have to have "at least one litter"; or that it's cruel to deprive them of reproducing.
Nothing could be further from the truth.
If nothing else, please tune into "The Price is Right." Drew Carey may have taken over but he's still sending out Bob Barker's message -- spay and neuter your pets!

No comments: