Tuesday, October 21, 2008

walk facing traffic!


Walking is great exercise and it's also a great way to save gasoline -- skip the car and walk where you need to go.
I love walking. But I also know that there are rules to follow ... such as WALK FACING TRAFFIC; BE SURE YOU ARE VISIBLE; BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS.
I wish more people would remember even those simple rules.
Including the person who was walking on Forty Foot Road this morning, just ready to make the turn down Welsh Road toward Lansdale -- on the wrong side of the road at about 6:40 a.m. in the dark, wearing dark clothing.
The person was lucky that no one had hit him or her yet. I hope he or she made it to his or her destination.
But I often see these, regardless of the time of day.
People are walking or jogging on the wrong side of the road, not facing traffic, headphones in place.
They can't see or hear oncoming traffic.
A disaster waiting to happen.
Please, don't give up walking. Just walk more safely!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right Nona. Yuppies, college degrees, good jobs, but completely clueless about walking safely.
If ya gotta walk after dark, wear reflective clothing, face traffic, move over and give way to oncoming cars.
There she was, 20' in front of me before I saw her, earphones, pushing a baby cart, lab retriever on a leash in front, oncoming cars with brights on. . . had to slam on the breaks and she never looked. I was moving less that 20mph but some jokers zoom around 35 or 40 on this residential street. Wouldn't want the odds of her continued survival. . .DUMB.
Sal