Tuesday, July 7, 2009

RIP michael


I'm not of the correct generation -- at least in my opinion -- to be a Michael Jackson fan. I like all types of music, but The Beatles reign supreme in my world.
But when my daughter was very young, she LOVED Michael Jackson. She had a "leather" jacket, she had a Michael doll, she had a Beta -- yes, Beta -- tape of "The Making of Thriller" which included "Thriller," and which we watched a million times.
The Jackson crush faded as her musical tastes evolved drastically, but there was still an admiration for much of his work.
And, besides, Weird Al had lampooned a few of his songs, so that made it even better.
So with that history, perhaps I should understand what the heck is going on right now.
I don't.
Michael Jackson's memorial service is today, but you know that won't be the end of it.
I get that there is much controversy over his death, but should that really rate him all of this?
At the risk of being killed, I have to say no.
He WAS a remarkable talent. He could sing and he could dance.
I feel sorry for him because of the lack of childhood and the misery he must have endured.
But I still don't get all of this wailing and gnashing of teeth.
I was devastated when John Lennon was murdered.
MURDERED.
And I mourned George Harrison's death as well.
But at least dignity and respect were the hallmarks of their passing.
Not a media event that, undoubtedly, will become part of the movie/spectacular that's in the works and that will ultimately rake in even more money.
I feel sorry for Michael in many ways.
I just wish people would let him rest in peace, instead of deifying him.

No comments: