Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Helping hand

Too often it's way too easy to simply complain, complain, complain.
And during the holiday season, when we're busy and stressed, that can become even easier.
But I wanted to share a simple gesture that really touched me this week.
I took the day off on Monday, to try to catch up with some work around the house, run some errands and get ready for Christmas.
I was at a local store, my cart was filled with two 25-pound bags of bird seed plus lots of other items, and I was struggling to unload the cart into the back of my car.
Suddenly a voice said, "Here, let me help you with that; it looks heavy."
I turned to see an older gentleman who was lifting one of the bird seed bags out of the cart and into my car.
I was so taken aback, I could hardly say, "Thank you, that's so kind of you."
As he helped with the other items, he said, "Well, if we can't help each other, who will?"
I thanked him again and he said, "Oh, that's all right. Glad to help. And here, let me take your cart back, too. Now you have a happy holiday!"
I wished him a Merry Christmas, and watched as he walked away with the cart. I figured maybe he needed one anyway, but no, he returned the cart and walked into the store.
A small gesture? Not to me.
It made my day.

No comments: