Wednesday, April 23, 2008

gas pains

Anyone going to be able to afford to go on vacation this year?
How about being able to afford to drive to work?
As we gallop ever nearer to the $4 per gallon gas price -- which undoubtedly will soon be surpassed -- and then try to afford the food at the grocery store, it does more than give me pause.
Unemployment, layoffs, companies disappearing -- and yes, the newspaper business is right up there -- is enough to keep anyone awake at night.
You try to create a budget that works, and as a single woman, I know that can be a challenge.
But at least I don't have a mortgage or credit card debt. I don't know how young families are managing, or people trying to help their kids through college, or retirees on a fixed income ... well, you get the idea.
Will a new president offer any hope? I'm not counting on it.
But something has to give soon.
That "economic stimulus" check we're all awaiting? Yeah, I can see most people rushing out and buying items to stimulate the economy. That won't pay for many trips to the grocery store or the food we have to buy.
We're in trouble and it's more than a little scary.

No comments: