Thursday, November 26, 2015

Count your blessings



I love the scene in "White Christmas" where Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney sing "Count Your Blessings."

And what better time to count them than today, on Thanksgiving?
So, just a few of my blessings:
-- My family, both immediate and extended. My daughter and son-in-law are my very close family, and I could not love them more or be prouder of them. They soon will celebrate their first anniversary and it has not been a year without challenges for them. But I know their love will continue to not only see them through, but bring them closer and build an even stronger bond.
-- My friends. Among them is one that I have known since junior high. This fall he was kind enough to have me as his traveling companion in Germany -- my first visit there. It was wonderful! And then he was brave enough to go to Vermont with me. Thank you Lynn!
-- My animal babies. Yes, I have cats. I think you all know that. Many are "seniors" at this point and some of them have health problems. But I am thankful for each one and the many years of enjoyment they have given us. Our dear Beatrice crossed the Rainbow Bridge in February, but we will never forget her.

That's Beatrice in the foreground, with her daughter Shel, the yellow cat, who is still with us.
-- My health. Overall, pretty good. I can't really complain -- who would listen? But really, I am happy that as a senior citizen, my complaints are few. Now if only I could get back to my high school weight!
-- Retired! Yes, I retired from the veterinarian hospital this summer. I retired as a newspaper editor a few years ago. So except for subbing in now and then, my time has been freed up considerably. A reason to give thanks!
-- I would like to think that I am not a nasty person who causes misery to other people. You may not think that's worth noting, but believe me, when you encounter people who go out of their way to seek to destroy happiness in other people's lives, you realize that being content in your own skin is a reason to give thanks.
May you all enjoy a blessed Thanksgiving surrounded by those you love.
And may those in your lives count their blessings -- and count you among them!


No comments: